Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011 A look Back

Well, my 2011 running year had some setbacks.  I started the year with a calf injury (my left peroneus longus muscle) which had me going to physical therapy for about month.  Once that healed I started training for the 2011 Dam to Dam race here in Des Moines.  The Dam to Dam is a wonderful 20K race held during the first week of June.  But all wasn't well.  In May I stress fractured my left fibula.  I was thinking really who stress fractures their fibula (that is a support bone) and once again I start physical therapy.

Then I was back to running in July and things were going well.  I started taking it slow because I developed some bursitis in my left knee that the physical therapist was working on.  I started feeling great then in mid-August I damaged my right peroneus longus.  This was a serious injury.  I could barely walk for 3 days and I couldn't run for 8 weeks.  For some reason I didn't go see the doctor or return to physical therapy.  I set out on a path of strength training.

I returned to running September 12th and I have been running strong ever since.  I continue to strength training and I'm logging about 20 miles a week.  I learned to slow things down and not race my workouts.  I have a set workout routine I perform weekly.  I do yoga now and I continue with my physical therapy exercises.  I hope 2012 will be a better year and I will continue to write about my ups and hopefully less frequent downs.

Summary of 2011:
Total miles run 604:  Not bad :)
Injuries:  4 :(
Total of 10 weeks injured without training
No races :(   

No comments:

Post a Comment